Paneer or Indian Cottage Cheese is made by curdling the milk and draining the excess water. In its consistency, it sits somewhere between the softness of feta and hardness of halloumi, which of course makes it a vegetarian replacement for chicken, when it comes to cooking. Place it in a tandoor, grill or simply to make a curry.
This recipe is for Shahi Paneer, Shahi which literally stands for Royal and it does no injustice to this dish.
Here is the recipe.
Serves : 2-4
What you need? (Ingredients)
Paneer – 500 grams cubed
1 -2 Red Onions
1 cup Tomato puree
1/2 Cup Yogurt
2 tbsp Fresh Cream
1-2 Green Chillies
1 bay leaf
1 tsp red chilli powder
4-6 black peppercorns
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
1-2 tsp of honey
1 tbsp of Oil /butter
- Cube the onions and boil it for few minutes and blend it in smooth paste.
- Heat oil in the pan. Add onion paste and add ginger garlic paste.
- Once the paste is half cooked, add tomato puree.
- Allow to cook.
- On a low heat, add yogurt stirring continuously not allowing the lumps to be formed.
- Add dry spices, paneer cubes & cream. Mix them gently together.
- Add half cup of water and cover and cook for 10-12 mins on low heat.
- Garnish with Cream and fresh coriander. Serve hot
Serving Suggestion: Serve with butter naan or a plain prantha.