Dal Makhni is a staple food for most vegetarians in the North of India. Its one of the most ordered dishes on the menu and is readily available in almost all places that serve North Indian food. Cooked in variety of different styles, this one is inspired by one of my favourite Chefs (Kunal Kapoor).
Makhni or Makhani stands for butter and this recipe uses generous portion of it, you have been forewarned this is not for faint of heart.
Here goes the recipe.
Serves : 3-4 people
What will you need (Ingredients)
250gms Maa ki Dal / Black Dal (Find it in your local Indian Grocer or amazon.)
300gms Butter (Salted/Unsalted)
1tsp Red Chilli Powder (Add one green chilli to make it spicy)
250ml Tomato puree or 1.5 cans of plum tomatoes blended.
1tbsp Ginger garlic paste
1tsp Kasuri Methi Powder / Dried Kasuri methi
1 litre of Water
Salt to taste
- Rinse the Dal overnight.
- Rub the Dal together to get that red coloured restaurant tinge
- In an open pan put in soaked dal along with 1ltr of water.
- Boil on slow to medium flame until the skin starts pealing off the Dal.
- Add Salt, red chilli powder, tomato puree and butter.
- Allow to cook. Add kasuri methi.
- Keep stirring for another 15 to 20 mins.
- Garnish with cream and butter. Serve Hot.
Serving Suggestion: Pair it with Chapati or Prantha or good old plain Naan.