Dhabha’s are the lifeline of Indian Highways after all a traveller needs good food to continue on their journeys.
This is my take on North India’s Dhabha Chicken Curry.
Here is the recipe
What you need? (Ingredients)
4-6 Chicken Drumsticks (Chicken on the bone is more preferable for a dish as rustic as this)
3-4 Small Red onions, chopped.
2-3 Green Chillies
1 Can of Chopped tomatoes
Bunch of fresh coriander leaves
2 Inches of Cinnamon Stick
3-4 Black Cardamom pods
4-5 Green Cardamom pods
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
4-5 Black Peppercorns
1 1/2 tsp of Garlic Paste
2 tsp of Ginger Paste
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
1 tsp of Cumin Powder
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp of Mustard Oil to cook
- Heat Oil in a pan.
- Add cinnamon, cumin seeds, black & green cardamoms,green chillies, cloves and pepper corns. Sweat them for 2-3 minutes on high heat.
- Add chopped onions and stir for few minutes or till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the mixture to blender and blend into smooth paste.
- Add the blended paste to pan along with can of tomatoes (you can blend 2-3 large plum tomatoes as an alternate)
- Add Ginger & Garlic paste.
- On medium heat cook the mixture, till the oil starts floating on the top.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well and stir.
- Add chicken pieces and stir for a minute or two.
- Add 250 ml of water and cover the pan for 15 minutes. Keep the heat on medium.
- Add fresh coriander leaves and stir, on a low heat keep the mixture covered for another 20 minutes.
- Take off the heat and let the dish rest for 5 to 8 minutes, covered.
- Garnish with mint / coriander leaves and serve hot.
Serving Suggestion: Like a true road side eatery, go simple with your choice of bread. A simple chapati or jeera rice .
Tip : Squeeze half a lemon to uplift the flavour.