So, I am back from the dead and have started cooking again. This week, let’s look at my eternal weakness, Breads. I can have breads with anything and there are so many different types of them to enjoy with different bread groups. My favourite among breads is stuffed pranthas; be it with potatoes, cauliflower, paneer or pithi which is a term used in old Punjabi for lentils, more particularly the yellow lentils (Split Yellow Grams).
Here is the recipe.
Serves : 2-4
What you need? (Ingredients)
500gms wheat flour
2tbsp Butter/Clarified Butter
250gms soaked moong dal
1 1/2 inch ginger
1 tsp pepper corns
1 green chilli
1 tbsp Coriander seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp red chili powder
Butter/Clarified butter to cook
Salt to taste
- Knead dough with flour, clarified butter and salt. Keep it aside for 20 mins.
- In a pan, add soaked dal, turmeric, water and salt, bring the dal to a boil and strain the excess water in bowl.
- In the same pan, add butter with crushed pepper corns, red chili powder, chopped green chilli, crushed coriander seeds, chopped ginger and asafoetida.
- Add dal to mixture and cook for couple of minutes. Add garam masala and little more salt. Set aside
- Use the dal mixture to fill dough balls. (you can choose to blend the mixture if you so wish)
- Roll out gently into flat breads and fry in clarified butter on a flat pan.
- Serve hot.
Serving Suggestion : Serve it with Pickles, Mint chutney, Yogurt and Masala Chai.