The two big Asian nations of China and India have more thing in common, then they like to believe. Being among the first civilizations in the world and having a diverse landscape, growing economies, largest populations, etc. are just a few of these similarities. Food, is another one of it; both India and China have a rich gastronomical history and food from both these countries have crossed boundaries and is among the most sought after food around the globe. So, it is imperative that Chinese food will cross the border into India and mix with local spices to create what we now know as Indo-Chinese food.
This vegan recipe is an ode to fusion of two biggest cultures in world.
Here is the recipe.
Serves : 3-4
What you need? (Ingredients)
For the Vegetable Balls
200 grams of finely chopped cabbage
200 grams of grated Cauliflower
100 grams of carrots, grated.
1 large onion, chopped.
2 tbsp of corn flour
3-4 tbsp of plain flour
1-2 cloves of chopped garlic
1-2 green chilies, chopped
1 tsp of red chili powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
For the Gravy
3-4 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1 inch of Ginger chopped.
1 Cup of peppers chopped (yellow, green and red)
1/2 Onion, chopped
1-2 green chilies, chopped.
1/4 cup of spring onion greens for garnish
.1 tbsp of corn flour
1 tbsp of soy sauce
2 tsp of white vinegar
Oil to cook
For the Vegetable balls
- In a bowl mix all vegetables, salt, pepper, corn and plain flour.
- Shape the above mixture into small balls. (use a spoon or slight oil your hands)
- Deep fry the vegetable balls in hot oil until golden brown.
- Keep aside on absorbent paper or baking rack.
For the Gravy
- Stir fry all vegetables in oil.
- Add vegetable stock or water to the mixture.
- Add soya sauce and vinegar (add additional salt to taste if required)
- Add cornflour mixed in water to thicken the gravy.
- Garnish with spring onion greens.
- On low heat combine the vegetable balls with gravy.
- Serve Hot with fried rice or vegetarian noodles.