Biryani, we all love it. Don’t we? I mean, how can you not love the delicately succulent meat mixed with aromatically flavoured and taste bud enduring rice. Ah!, the joys of food dreaming.
In all this there is one problem though, it does take considerable skill and patience to cook the perfect Biryani and sometime you don’t have time or patience to cook the biryani; and that is where the wonderful yakhni pulao steps in as your saviour. It has very similar texture and combination of many unbelievable flavours and aroma of spices. And the bonus, it’s a one pot wonder.
Tip : Use a pressure cooker, if you can. An open pot/ casserole dish are wonderful as well but will be lot slower than a pressure cooker.
Here is the recipe.
Serves : 3-4
What you need? (Ingredients)
800 grams Chicken (Boneless or with bone as per preference)
2 Cups of Basmati Rice, soaked and cleaned.
3-4 large potatoes roughly diced
2 Cups of Natural Yogurt
2 onions sliced
1 inch of ginger chopped
10-12 cloves of garlic chopped
3-4 Green chillies sliced
1 tsp of turmeric powder
1 tsp of cumin seeds
2 cinnamon sticks
8-10 green cardamoms
3-4 dried red chillies
1 bay leaf
8-10 Corainder seeds
1 tsp of nutmeg
1-2 black cardamoms
2 tbsp of Clarified Butter
2-4 small sized potatoes peeled and diced in large chunks
Salt to taste
Water (1/4 cup or as required).
- Add in bay leaf, cardamoms (black & green), peppercorns, red chillies, cloves, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg into a grinder and grind into a coarse masala.
- In a heated deep pan/pressure cooker add clarified butter and add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, onions and green chillies and saute for few minutes, till onions are translucent.
- Add chicken pieces, half of coarse masala and water; if cooking in pressure cooker, cook it for two whistles. For a pan, cook on medium heat until the chicken is 80% cook.
- Add turmeric powder, potatoes, soaked rice into the pan / pressure cooker and mix.
- Add natural yogurt, salt, and other half of coarse masala, mix well.
- Cook for 5-6 whistles on medium flame in pressure cooker. For pan, cook on medium heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Serving Suggestion : Serve with fresh mint and coriander raita.